I talk about oils a lot, and I finally had someone sit me down and tell me I seriously need to break – it – down for people and she’s right. I totally get that because back when I bought my first couple oils I think I only looked at them for a very long time (fortunately the ones I got don’t go bad!). I knew I wanted to try essential oils because they were exactly in line with my plant-loving, non-toxic way of life, but then I had them and I kind of froze up.
It’s hard to implement an entirely new regimen on your own, and essential oils are super unique to the individual. Your own body will want very different oils than the next person’s – because it’s based on what you specifically need. They each even smell slightly different to every nose. It goes to show how our body chemistry is so perfectly individualized. That said – I think it would help a lot for me to provide the framework for you… and slowly but surely your most favorite oils and your favorite ways to use them will begin to take shape.
Once my oil routine gained some consistency, my skin cleared up, wrinkles stayed away, my sleep improved, my digestion began to heal, my anxiety lessened, my mood improved, my hair grew long and full, my headaches went away, I recovered from adrenal fatigue, I got lots of compliments on how great I smelled, and best of all? I haven’t been sick with a cold since.
Disclaimer: QUALITY MATTERS. More than anything. The essential oil industry is currently completely unregulated, and honestly, it is absolutely terrifying. The oils that you’re getting on Amazon, are not real. The oils you’re getting from Whole Foods, Sprouts, Groupon, Safeway, they are not real – in fact, they are likely hazardous. Please do not buy them. You’d be better off not using anything at all.
One of the main benefits of using oils is that we limit the cancerous chemicals that enter our bodies and bloodstreams daily.
To be clear, I don’t “sell” these, but I do absolutely refer people and share all about them because they have changed my life and most everyone I know doesn’t want to be sick, wants to feel good, and heal health issues naturally. I was lucky enough to have a friend introduce me to doTerra oils several years ago, and after trying the crappy grocery store ones, and having researched their purity standards and sourcing practices, nothing else comes close to doTerra based on my personal experience.
DoTerra does require that you get a referral from someone in order to buy the product, so I have that link for you here in case you are new. (More info for newbies at the end of this article!)
Alright, let’s get to it! Here is the outline of my routine for you. I don’t want to overwhelm you too much with this, remember that I’ve been working on finding oils that I love for several years. So take what resonates with you, and leave the rest.
I organized my list for you by where I keep them, and how I use them:
Oils I keep by my bed:
- Wild Orange, for mood uplifting and abundance, in my diffuser first thing in the morning
- Cheer doTerra blend, to start my day off with a cheer, applied directly to my wrists, rub together and take a deep whiff.
- Digestzen, doTerra blend, if I had a late night or larger meal. I place directly on my lower abdomen.
- Geranium, placed directly onto my adrenal gland area on my back, very helpful for relaxation before bed.
- Vetiver, with a dropper top because it’s thick, on my hips. Slows down the heart rate, activates the relaxation response. Smells woodsy and grassy. I love it.
- Homemade Grounding Blend (for opening and balancing the root chakra) of Cedarwood, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang and distilled water in a glass spray bottle. I spray it on my stomach and on my bed.
Oils I keep on my desk for focus and balance: (the most impactful way to absorb all oils is via diffuser / through the olfactory system aka nose).
- Frankincense (the most powerful oil, promotes cell regeneration and permeates the blood-brain barrier)
- Ylang Ylang
- Balance (all-time anti-anxiety fav)
- Holiday Peace doTerra blend
- Serenity doTerra blend for calming
Oils I keep next to my bathroom sink:
- Melaleuca (tea tree), I add a drop to my Treat Yourself facewash (in an earlier post), and I also spot-treat any acne bumps or cuts and scrapes just by using my finger
- Immortelle (anti-aging), it has a very strong smell for me so I use it on the tops of my hands instead of my face. It’s a skin miracle worker.
- Lavender is moisturizing and anti-aging, I dab it under my eyes before bed (keep them out of your actual eyes!)
Oils I keep in my shower:
- Eucalyptus, a powerful decongestant and provides a spa-like experience
- Melaleuca, for my face and I add a drop to my shampoo to clean my scalp
- Rosemary, most powerful for hair growth and increasing memory – I add 2 drops to my shampoo in my hand and put that directly on my head
Oils I keep in my car:
- Balance, to stay sane/relax in bay area traffic
- TerraShield, natural bug and tick repellant, for any time I go for a hike!
Oils I keep in my purse:
- BREATHE doTerra blend – very powerful for cold and sore throat prevention. I use the “doTerra touch roller” version and roll it directly onto my lymph nodes on my neck and below my jaw
- OnGuard doTerra blend – very powerful for immunity. Three drops in water or my tea or on my wrists.
- Cinnamon and/or Slim and Sassy, after a less than healthy meal or on my wrists or in my mouth, if I am (unintentionally) stretching my time between meals
- My own perfume blend!
Oils I keep in my kitchen:
- Oregano and Thyme for digestion – taken in a veggie capsule with some extra virgin olive oil
- All my cooking oils: ginger, lemon, lime, cilantro, basil, etc.
That’s my jamm, y’all!
I’m really excited to try Patchouli as I explore more Root Chakra opening, Copaiba for pain relief, and of course Yarrow Pom. I’ve heard some really amazing things.
Let me know what questions you have, oil babes.
Newbies: welcome! Are you excited to totally transform your health?! I am super excited for you. It’s amazing to completely release the need for toxic products and fully embrace natural holisitc solutions. Start by clicking this link and entering your information, once you do that you can choose a welcome kit. These kits include the most widely used and most popular oils and products, the kit you choose will also waive the wholesale enrollment fee ($35), and that grants you discounted wholesale pricing for the entire year. Yay!
If you have questions about which kit to get, please email me: email@example.com. Those who enroll get added to the most amazing facebook group with searchable recipes and experts to answer your questions on the spot. They are truly some amazing women and a wonderful community to be a part of. We welcome you :)